We talk a lot about vocations to marriage, religious life, etc., but other than thinking about it and learning for the future, a lot of it doesn’t yet have a direct application to your child’s life. This lesson takes a different approach in that all vocations, present and future, are called to grow in holiness. We are ALL called to become Saints, and that takes lots of practice! This lesson gives lots of suggestions for that ongoing “practice” and then challenges everyone in the family to intentionally practice and keep track via the My Growing in Holiness Book.
The concept is simple – pick something to work on and then look back at each day to see if you did it. There are huge blessings to this habit!
- It’s very doable. You’re working on holiness in very small bites.
- Noting your successes in the booklet gives you a visible picture of how you’re doing.
- You’re establishing lifelong patterns of behavior.
- Looking back on each day to reconnect with God is an ancient path to holiness.
- You become conscious of your actions throughout the day.
- You become conscious of the need to be continually growing in virtue.
We gave each family member a booklet, so you can all be growing together. Perhaps it would be best, to start out, if you were all working on a single resolution together (A great way to encourage one another), but this can also work with individual resolutions. Either way, the success of the project hinges on remembering to do it each day, so remind each other to do that end-of-the-day check. And there are 12 pages in each booklet, so we hope you’ll keep it going throughout the year!