Forty is a significant number in Scripture – a number of preparation.
- Noah and his family were on the ark for while it rained for 40 days as God prepared the earth for a fresh start.
- Jonah gave the Ninevites 40 days to repent.
- Moses was on Mount Sinai for 40 days before God gave him the Ten Commandments.
- The Israelites spent 40 years in the desert to prepare them for their life in the promised land.
- and Christ spent 40 days in the desert before He began His ministry.
Likewise, each year we are invited to spend the 40 days of Lent in preparation for the great feast of Easter!