I’ve blogged this before, but it’s well worth re-reading, especially in light of this month’s topic, Lent coming up soon, the Year of Mercy … you get the idea.
Click over here for Inside the Confessional: What Is it Like for a Priest?, but you probably won’t be surprised to hear that a priest views the sacrament of Reconciliation in a different light than some of us weary penitents do. Here are a few pieces from his list:
I get to regularly come face to face with the overwhelming, life-transforming power of God’s love.
[I get to see] see the way in which God’s sacrifice on the cross is constantly breaking into people’s lives and melting the hardest hearts.
I see a person who is still trying — a saint in the making.
Does a priest remember your sins? Is he judging you for failing? Is he bored or scandalized by what you have to confess? Read to the end – you’ll be glad you did!
Then I have a few assignments for you:
- Read it aloud to your entire family
- Share it on your favorite social media sites
- Forward a link to someone who has been expressing doubts about Confession
- Print the article and mail it to someone you know
- Take to heart all that Father Mike says here and receive the Sacrament!