If you haven’t done it yet, be sure to stop by the chapel with your family to take a closer look at Rembrandt’s famous rendition of the Prodigal Son. I’ve got a digital version just below, but it’s also fun to look at the details on a larger copy, and doing so would be a great time for informal review on the story.
- Compare the riches of the father with the absolute wretchedness of the younger son.
- Look at the father’s embrace. It looks more like he’s laying his hands on his son in blessing. (Can you imagine God doing that to a repentant sinner?)
- Can you find the older son off to the side scowling at the reunion?
- Do you remember why he was so angry?
- Why do you think this picture is hanging right next to the confessional?